Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wonderful Woolies Fleece Sale 2011, or Nearly Naked Sheep



The sheep have all been sheared now, and are sporting their new spring coats. It's always a nice feeling for them to get all that wool off. Most are very patient with the process, and even though it puts them in some awkward positions for short periods of time, it's even more challenging for the shearer, who shears several sheep over several hours. Thank God for ibuprofen & Therma-Care Heat Wraps!


Also, Great Big Thanks to Dori and Lea for their most excellent help on shearing day! You both helped make the day run smoothly and efficiently. :-) We are all very grateful.

People often ask why we coat our sheep. I submit this photo of our yearling, Glenda, and it should answer your questions. All our sheep are very enthusiastic about the organic hay that we get from Sumas (near the Canadian border), but she seems to find particular joy in adorning herself with hay garlands. Soon the grass will begin growing, though, and the flock will enjoy the fresh pasture even more. As fleeces become longer and longer, the sheep will need larger coats. I think we go through about four or five coat sizes on the adults, in the course of a year. In the long run, though, coating makes for easier fiber processing and less fleece waste because of VM. Below Glenda's picture is one of her fleece, which is on its way to Florida.



We will be hosting the Wonderful Woolies Fleece & Fiber Sale on Saturday, April 16, 2011, 10 a.m. til 4 p.m. We are particularly pleased that several other farms have agreed to participate, too. We will have several breeds represented besides our CVM/Romeldale, including Romney X, Shetland, Icelandic, Angora goat (mohair), alpaca & llama, both Huacaya & Suri. We will have raw and processed fleeces. Of course, the sheep will be here to visit our guests as well.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for this Saturday's event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for tomorrow. And I have to ask - what breed is that bottom fleece picture? I want it! It looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's from my ewe, Athena - a CVM (California Variegated Mutant). I'm planning to show the fleece at Black Sheep Gathering (end of June) but it will be available after that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne,
    I would love to buy it from you at the end of June, it is gorgeous. I'm in Bellingham too (Sam from the silk retreat) so could pick it up easily. How many pounds is it, do you think? It looks really clean, would it be fairly easy to wash? I have a carder, and am not afraid of that part of the prep, but the washing is a bit intimidating. It's so, so pretty I think it would be worth the work. ;) I am spinning up the lovely CVM roving I bought at the sale and am loving it, some of my favorite fiber to spin so far. I have recommended your fiber to a few Rav friends already, you'll probably be hearing from them!

    ReplyDelete